Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 24 August 2010

How Lucky Are You?

Given all the spare time, I have been watching few movies of late.  Most of these movies talk of money and how it is a bane on our society.  Some have too much of violence.  A lot talk on love but not too sure what these directors are trying to convey.  I believe that life should be a mix of both ups and downs, the so called "good" and "bad", the happiness and the not so happy moments.  Unless the mix is there, we do not appreciate the concept called "luck".

This term "luck" is very elusive.  You ask anyone on the streets as to how lucky he/she is and the answer you get is usually "not very".  When you ask them why, the reply is how something did not go very well that day or the previous day.

I believe that I am very lucky.  When I see someone who does not have a limb, I am grateful that I have all limbs and all of them working fine.  Do they creak because of age...yes, of course...but then, that is wear and tear. Atleast they are working.  When I see the beggar on the street, I am grateful that my parents gave me a better standard of living and afforded my education cost.  When I hear people say their relationships are not working, I am grateful that there are people around me who love me (the 4 corners of my life).  When I hear that people take an hour or so to fall asleep after going to bed, I am grateful that it is few seconds for me.

To me, luck is all about good health, happiness, peace of mind, loving and being loved, being able to eat well and enjoying it and above all, able to sleep peacefully.  We notice that money does not figure in this list. Does it mean, money is not needed...of course not. We do need the money. But as someone said, if you have enough money, it will take care of you. If you have too much, you will need to take care of it.

Most of the time, luck is in your mind.  How lucky you deem you are is a state of mind and is not the size of your bank balance or house or car.  I remember I was struggling during my first climb of Sabarimala.  I was talking to my friend and climing the hill and at one point just stopped.  I was very tired and thought of stopping.  As I talked to my friend, I turned around and saw many people following us up the hill. Two people caught my attention. One was a young man without legs. He was propelling his body up the hill with his two thin hands.  The other was an eighty year old lady walking up hill with the help of a stick.  If they believed that they could do it, it would be an absolute shame if I stopped.  The climbing of that steep hill was more in the mind than in the body.  I got to the top of the hill in less than an hour!!!

So, if you are thinking of how not very lucky you are, please do reflect on the millions who are worse off than you...reflect on all of the above.  Remember, luck is in your mind!!!

4 comments:

  1. How true Ravi..was reflecting on the same topic today ! As I was driving home today, I was feeling a little low due due to some insignificant episode...but as I looked out of the window, noticed a girl who was blind, crossing the road humming a song under her breath- she seemed so full of life and had an energy in her step...was such a slap on my face - I immediately realized on how we ignore all that we have and run behind a mirage !

    ReplyDelete
  2. People often misuse this term luck to shift the blame for their failures and misfortunes. I do accept the part of luck, but that comes only after we put in our efforts.Certainly, being born as human beings, with a decent health and wealth, we should consider ourselves very lucky.The main problem arises because most of us are not happy with whatever luck we have, but spend sleepless nights over somebody else's luck and success. There is a saying that " I was crying because i didn't have a pair of shoes..until I saw a person without his pair of foot."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pranava, good one...thank you.

    Kannan, amazing quote..thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last evening I had gone to a nearby shopping complex. As I waited in the queue, the lady in front of me reached into her purse to pay for her stuff. I idly glanced her way and got a jolt when I realised that her fingers (on both hands) were severely twisted and out of shape. As one would imagine, it took her quite a while to maneuver her fingers into finding and holding the necessary notes. Job accomplished, she turned around, gave me a cheery wave and walked out.
    It does not take too much imagination to understand what a struggle life must be at her end. And yet the smile was in place and she looked quite happy. Quite a lot for me to learn from this encounter. Thanks Ravi for reminding us to count our blessings more often.

    ReplyDelete