Powered By Blogger

Saturday 14 August 2010

Where is that smile?

This technology beats me...I tried figuring out how many people read my first attempt at blogging but could not.  I saw 3 comments and 3 followers.  I am happy that someone other than me is actually reading what I write.  So, I have decided to continue writing and today I want to write on that quickly vanishing commodity called " the smile".

There is an old adage that says we strain 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown. So, it is better to smile than to frown. While I am thrilled with this, the known fact as of now is that it takes 12 muscles to smile and 11 to frown. So, the odds are stacked against smiling.

When I glance at the news paper or view the news channels every day, all that we get to read or see only depresses me. Not sure why only murder, rape, vandalism, extremist activity, corruption, etc. make news value? When we talk to friends, I notice that most of them have only office problems to discuss or just say something not so complimentary about others. 

So, I decided to change channels and started watching the Pogo Channel, a channel for kids.  This is an amazing channel and, I believe, that kids have got it right. They prefer to have fun in their lives.  I watched a program called "Takeshi's Castle".  It was hilarious.  Not only did I have an amazing laugh that lightened my heart but also learnt quite a bit from the program.

Takeshi's Castle is all about people trying out different activities that are absolutely bizarre and trying to succeed in completing those activities.  I have learnt quite a bit from this program. The first is that we can make absolute fools of ourselves in front of the camera and have a blast at it.  That we should keep trying hard and many times over till we succeed (you must have read the story of the Spider and King Robert Bruce).  That we should come up with new and innovative things to do (there are so many activities and games that are done in this program).  And finally, at the end of the day, we must have had a whole load of fun.

In our daily lives, with all the struggles of lousy traffic, depressing news, squabbles and the tensions that we have created for ourselves, we forget to use a commodity that is within each of us. A commodity that we can dish out anytime, anywhere but we choose to ignore.  A commodity that if we dish out, gets dished back to us in equal measure or probably more. A commodity that really lightens our hearts and keeps our souls intact...OUR SMILE !!!

7 comments:

  1. Smile is indeed a precious commodity. A little smile costs nothing but brings tonnes of happiness to all around. It is indeed a small act, but yields great results. People take to frowning because that is considered as a heroic act by many. So, most of the people try to frown artificially. Well for negative news, again Robin Sharma has devoted a chapter" Observe a week's news fast." Incredibly true. News these days is like a buffet meal. Take what you want and sit back and relax. Good day..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that you chose to write about 'News' in your blog today. As a kid, i was told that NEWS was an acronym for North, East, West, South - the 4 corners - which of course is the name of your blog.

    Why find solace with Pogo and Cartoon Network? What if one day, they get acquired by a News channel? What will we see then?

    A better approach is to develop a state of mind where we can see all 4 corners (N,E,W,S) with equanimity.

    Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to quote a dialogue from the movie Rann by Rajpal Yadav (journalist) to a lady who is in movieline.

    " Madam..both of us are in the same line. The only difference is whatever movies we make, people call them as news."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written and how true ! I feel that this is more relevant with the "urban setup"..The people from the rural areas are comparitively simple and caring and they "smile" more often and when they do its more "genuine"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Urban Monk, thank you so much for your comments. I wrote on the smile and not on news - but it reached you as NEWS :) - I am happy the writings are evoking different responses...

    Kannan, thank you so much...

    Pranava, you are correct, there are more smiles in villages...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somebody correctly said about the pwer of smile - "Smile is a curve that sets everything straight":-)Regards, Rahul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Ravi,,, Excellent post

    ReplyDelete