Powered By Blogger

Thursday 19 August 2010

Inclusive Growth

I have decided to give the motivation topic a bit of a rest and will come back to it after sometime.  Today, I thought I will write on my favourite topic - Inclusive Growth.  I wrote an article on the office intranet few weeks ago on Inclusive Growth and thought I will re-produce that here with few changes.

I was recently sent a mail that discussed how luxury apartments are coming back to demand. The story talked of a sky walk with cobbled pathways lined with trees, above the 19th floor, where apartment owners could do their walking/jogging. I was struck by what people could do to feel “happier” or “more secure”. I asked myself if I would trade an opportunity to help a poor child’s education with a chance to jog on one of those skywalks. The answer was a definitive no.

India grows at over 7% every year but this growth is not at the same pace across all sectors and does not therefore, include all parts of our society. So, we end up with two ‘Indias’ with stark differences – one that is really affluent and can afford these skywalks and one that can barely scrape through with one meal in a day.

For growth to be healthy, we need to understand the pace of growth across all sectors and ensure that it reaches out to all parts of the society. Since we have not done that it has impacted us significantly. So, what this inequitable growth does is to skew various aspects of the society – salaries across industries, education system and the courses that children opt for (eg. more people doing computer engineering or a degree in accounting), eating patterns, inflationary pressures that are different in cities and villages, cropping patterns, disease patterns and you name it…almost everything. One of the key reasons for increasing naxalism is precisely this difference in economic conditions across the country.

What can we do?

We need to break the poverty cycle and each one of us can do this in our own small way. We can improve the chances of someone getting a job by providing them with a level of education they would not have otherwise got. If we do that, we give these people and their families a livelihood and a method of sustenance. We need to look at options of giving jobs at villages and smaller towns so that they need not migrate to large cities. I am sure each one of us thinks about this when we hear our Prime Minister Manmohan Singh talk of “inclusive growth” and when he says that this is the only way forward for us as a country. Each of us must also look at breaking this poverty cycle in our own way, because the aim is to have an India with no stark differences in living standards.

In one on my earlier jobs, I started a program to employ staff from 3rd and 4th tier schools.  People whose family income did not exceed Rs.3000 a month in 2004.  It was a huge success.  What made me realise the real impact was when I got a mail from one of these staffers 4 years later. He wrote (and I quote), "Sir, I am not sure if you remember me.  I was one of the people you employed 4 years ago in the first batch of contract staff.  Today, my sister's son goes to a better school than the one I did." (end quote).  This email of his made my day!!!

5 comments:

  1. Excellent piece to talk about. We cannot achieve growth by building malls and multiplexes. What we are witnessing is just a lop sided growth. I don't expect anybody to zero on the gap between haves and havenots. But at least the gap needs to be narrowed down. The lesser privileged sections need to be given a chance for survival. One way of doing is to give some sops to those who open industries and institutions in tier 3 and 4 towns. Unless the gap is narrowed and people from rural areas are given chances to have a decent living and education, the country will one day erupt into a civil war like situation. Already we see the influence of Maoism spreading like a wild fire. It has got to be a concerted effort of all of us. Every should contribute to the extent they can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely piece...and spoken from the heart (as Always:-)

    I am interested in knowing more about the concept of 'inclusive' growth, because i see it being used widely.

    If we were to set a goal for inclusive growth, what would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Thought Ravi and love reading your Blog. On Inclusive growth I see that people in villages and city get carried away by political Mafia's. They dont understand anything beyond the basic needs which is food and water. I have tried and keep trying to educate my Drivers and Maids on why should they vote to the right candidate and not take these crazy loans (and get into Debt Trap) to buy color television however they surcurb to pressure. How do you think you will handle this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice topic and article Ravi. Indeed very important for our nation and for sure close to my heart. Government machinery will do what it can given its capabilities, but the more fortunate individuals can do a lot as well. During my travels to some of the inner parts of the country, one sees the real India that still needs a lot of help. A few years back, I began supporting a few needy ones to ensure that support reaches them directly and they benefit from it. I strongly believe, one of the best joys of life is in Giving away. Looking forward to such thoughts! It is always good to revisit some of these often talked about but not actioned upon ideas and keep them in the forefront. Best Regards, Rahul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Urban Monk, In 1990, I set a target for myself to educate at least 10 rural children every year and have been doing that since then. That was my target. When I joined a Back Office, I realised that if I can provide employment even to 10 people from an economically disadvantaged background, I can help break the poverty cycle in a small way. I did that by hiring 30 as data entry operators and that 30 became over 450 as time went by. If each of us decides on something small that we can do - no point giving money - just help through efforts or through paying for education or by giving employment, we can make a significant difference to this nation.

    Ramesh Krishnan, it is difficult to break that cycle. That is why if you can help educate that driver's child and then get him/her a job, it will go a long way. In the meanwhile, the TVs will be given and will be taken...

    In the meanwhile, let us give it our best shot.

    ReplyDelete