Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 18 August 2010

Motivating People - Setting Expectations

The ability to work with ambiguity is something that all of us have to pick up.  Especially in the BPO/KPO/ ITO industry in India.  We are so used to clear, rules based work that anything ambiguous just foxes us.  We just do not experiment around to figure things out.  This is because our focus on process has just dumbed us down.

People struggle to different extents depending on how ambiguous the work is.  This is why, as leaders, it is very important to set clear expectations of the role.  What has worked for me over the years has been setting expectations clearly so that I know what I want of my team and my team knows what my expectations are. They, in turn, sit with their teams and then come back to me to re-negotiate expectations if they seem not achievable.  This goes on till we come to meet on common grounds.  However, this time is well spent as there is no point in jumping in to a car and driving if we do not know where we are headed to.

However, expectations and the role itself will not be clear all the times.  As we go higher up the ladder, it becomes that much more fuzzy.  So, we need to adapt ourselves to handle this ambiguity of not knowing what is expected of the role.  This is where leadership comes in.  We need to define the role and figure out what could be the expectations of the role from stakeholders and then gain acceptance from stakeholders on what they could expect from you in the role.

I have worked in many situations where nothing was defined and I just needed to get in, work things out for myself and set a path.  While treading the path, you will make mistakes (like taking a wrong turning on the road).  But then, you just need to recognize that, retrace your steps and take the right route again.  When I started setting up a global back office for a company and wanted to introduce a Business Controls function, I was told that it already exists in Risk.  I had already hired 3 people for the function.  I quickly redeployed two of them while the third left the company.  I took course correction to disband the function even though I knew that it was essential.  After 4 years, the company established the same function under a different name.  Someone got this and asked me as to why this function could not have been created 4 years ago when I had suggested it.  I just told him that I had been a bit too early for the company to accept this. 

While expectations can be clear, ambiguity and maturity of the organization can hamper progress.  So, you need to also understand and time the organization well.  Otherwise, you will be like me, having to disband a newly created team!!!

Summarising my three days of writing on this subject...be a human being, recognize that the teams you are leading are also human beings and need to be respected. Communicate honestly and clearly. Set clear expectations but understand the organization well and time your moves carefully.

I hope this is helpful...I can see that the number of visits to this blog has increased but the number of comments has started coming down...not sure if this topic is boring or I am getting boring with this topic...guys, please send in your comments...it will help me refine my thoughts.


6 comments:

  1. I personally feel that one of the biggest obstacles, which prevents us from succeeding, is motivation. If one has problems with motivation, or staying motivated I strongly suggest he or she find a way to change the way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you have taken the pains to elaborate this issue from various perspectives and it is getting fascinating with every blog.Now comes the toughest part for you..practice what you preach. After the initial blog, slowly the comments posted have dwindled and now you are writing and I am commenting. Comments are the lifeline of any blog and I wish this blogging by you should continue. Through various comments only, we can look up at the matter in diiferent perspectives. I am sure you will not be disheartened by the lack of comments and keep motivating yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to share two cases of motivational stories from the world of cricket.
    One was the case of Marwan Attapattu the Lankan batsman who scored almost 8 ducks in his first 4 tests. Ranatunga the captain saw some potential in him and still persisted with him. That really motivated Attapattu and he just kept scaling heights. The other one was between Steve Waugh and Shane Warne. When Warne was going through a rough patch, Waugh commented that he needs a bowler who can take wickets and reputaions can't hold places in the team. Warne got fired and came with a string of great performances and kept going. Here, the guy needed to be fired up and ignited.

    Everybody comes across a dull phase in life when you lose interest in almost evrything. Thats where we need to motivate ourselves. Once can't expect a third person to come and motivate him. Time to time we need to develop the art of rediscovering ourselves through self motivation. And for this we need to believe in ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Kannan..I keep chugging along...as they say, the Koel does not sing for the world to listen..but just sings...I will keep writing.. but it does help when you get different perspectives so that my learning keeps continuing..superb examples of the fact that you need to understand the people you are dealing with to come up with different motivation strategies..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Ravi..if Rantunga had applied Stev Waugh's strategy on Attapattu and vice versa, that would have yielded bizzare results. It has got to be case to case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few things that i have picked up from Biographies/ Autobiographies of greats are: 1. If you have the souls of individuals/groups convinced about the cause and its leader, hands and minds will do whatever is needed, even sacrifice. 2 Trust/Integrity/Foresight/Wisdom/ Courage and Consistency of leader are very important. 3. Clarity of purpose. In the corporate world, transparency around rewards & recognition and alignement with values/ practices are key. Have some stunning stories from History on this... but may be will share sometime later. Keep writing. Best Regards, Rahul

    ReplyDelete